My husband and I took a LONG walk on the beach to see if anything would happen. During that amazing and beautiful walk, we both came to peace with the fact that if I didn’t go into labor by 7:30 the next morning, I would have to have a c section. We decided to go out to lunch at one of our favorite seafood shops. It was just the two of us which is very rare (my mother and sister were watching my son). During lunch at 1:00 PM I went into labor. The contractions were a steady 4-5 minutes apart and getting stronger.
I labored at home for just a short time since the Dr’s were very adamant on me calling the hospital as soon as I went into labor.
At 4:00 PM we arrived at the hospital. We weren’t admitted at first, they kept me monitored for about an hour to see if I would dilate at all. I was at 2 centimeters, so they decided to admit me (even though I wasn’t in active labor….I was a VBAC, so they needed to take extra precautions). The Dr that was on call was very cold and nasty. He was not open to VBAC’s at all, and tried to scare my husband and me.
I walked the halls, took a shower, bounced on my birth ball, etc. I was checked again at 8:00 PM and I was the same (2 centimeters). The Dr wanted to break my water, but I refused. For some reason, this made the Dr very mad and annoyed at me. From this point on, he was very difficult to deal with (to put it lightly).
I labored in the room from this point on. Mostly attached to the monitors, but walked around the bed, bounced on my birth ball, sat in a rocking chair, and constantly used the bathroom (the toilet was a good place to deal with contractions). I forgot to mention that the room we happened to be in was FREEZING!!! The thermostat was broken, so the AC was set to around 55 degrees! If I was cold and in labor, I can’t imagine how my husband, mother, and doula felt. After many complaints and my husband blocking the vents with towels, we were able to switch to a different room.
My labor from 8:00PM-2:00AM was very painful and difficult. At around 11:00 PM, the Dr checked me again, and I was 3 centimeters. I asked about breaking my water at this point and for some reason he didn’t want to….it almost seemed like he wanted to prove a point. I was fine with it. I know that with a VBAC, when the waters are ruptured, you’re on a clock.
At around 12:00 AM, I asked for an epidural, but the Dr was on another floor in the OR. Finally, at 2:00 AM, the nurses got permission from the Dr (who was still on a different floor) for the anesthesiologist to give me an epidural. I was completely exhausted and drained from the 13 hours of hard labor. My doula gave me a message, and then decided to leave to get rest herself.
My mother and I were in the room when the Dr finally came in to check me (still at 3 centimeters) and to tell me that he doesn’t understand why I would want to prolong this. The way he said it was very condescending and rude. I was taken back, as I didn’t understand what he was saying. He refused to tell me what he was talking about, and then I figured out that he was referring to me not allowing him to break my waters. I reminded him that I asked him to do it around 11:00 PM, and he said that I didn’t. So, I asked him to do it again. His response was “Yeah 10 hours later” and left to go to sleep. I was lost for words. I kept asking God why I was stuck with his horrific Dr.
When my husband returned, I told him what happened, and he was very upset as well. We decided to just wait it out until 7:30 AM when my other Dr would arrive. My mother left to get rest as well.
My husband and I were able to speak alone for a while and came to the decision that a c section was the way to go. I was again devastated and felt like a failure.
For the next few hours, I was able to get rest.
At 7:30 AM, it seemed like an angel walked through the door! It was my new Dr! I finally felt relieved, relaxed, and safe. My husband and I told him we were ready for a c section, since it was scheduled for him to do it anyway, and after the night we had along with the horrific Dr. He told me that I’ve wanted a VBAC for too long to just give up. He ruptured my waters and checked me at around 9:00 AM. I was 5 centimeters! He checked me again at 10:00 AM and I was 6 centimeters! I was rejoicing! He checked me again at 12:00, but I was still at 6 centimeters. Since the baby and I were doing well on the monitors, he decided to give me pitocin. I was against it, but decided that if it was the only way to VBAC, I would give it a try. I started dilating 1 centimeter an hour. At 4:00 PM, I started to push, and at 5:00 PM my little baby girl was born via VBAC! Lyla Jo, 7 pounds, 8 ounces, 20.5 inches long!
I can’t stress enough how important it was for me to have a supportive Dr. If the second Dr never came in, I wouldn’t have had my VBAC.