Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Taking Birth Back Women Supporting Women

A friend of mine started a local group for women called "Cesarean & Birth Trauma Support Group".  She was my Doula for both of my children's births.  
The first meeting was almost a month ago (I haven't posted in a while).  The emotion and support that was in that room was indescribable.  I later told her that it felt like I was in a "free" counseling session!  The birth stories that these women shared were incredible; all ending with a cesarean.
I was the only one in the group that was "healed" by my VBAC.  I felt for these women.  I was in their shoes just 4 weeks before the meeting.  
When it was my turn to share my Cesarean birth story, I felt like my birth was less traumatic than everyone else.  Maybe it was because I felt the healing from my VBAC birth?  Maybe it was because my birth WAS in fact less traumatic than everyone else?  These birth stories were horrific, scary, and sad.  I can't believe things like this happen, and they happen in my town!
The next meeting is coming up next week.  I have been looking forward to this meeting all month!  I hope many women are able to join this group.  It's a safe place to talk about our fears.                

No comments:

Post a Comment